SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth

Last week I had the chance to visit the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth to check out a brand new exhibit featuring work from Japanese artist Takashi Murakami. The exhibit is called The Octopus Eats Its Own Leg and it will be on display until mid September. I was very excited to visit and check out this exhibit because this was an artist that I was familiar with. When I visited The Broad in Los Angeles, not only was his artwork featured in the entrance gallery, but it was a HUGE piece. It was displayed continuously on three walls! So when I realized a museum so close to me was featuring his work in its very own exhibition, I had to go as soon as I had the chance.
Takashi Murakami's work is easily recognized from his collaborations with Kanye West. If you're a fan of Kanye West, you've seen his art work before. His most recent collaboration with Kanye West is through his artwork for the album cover of "Kids See Ghosts" a collaboration album from West and Kid Cudi. What interested me most about Takashi Murakami is his colorful artwork. As you visit the museum and read more about each individual piece you get to know more about him and read about the history behind some of his lesser known pieces. One of my favorite things about the exhibit was by far the entrance. As you're walking up the stairs to enter the main gallery, you are engulfed in a kaleidoscope of color that almost makes you feel like you're being eaten by an octopus. I've been to a few different art exhibitions and this exhibit had me in awe throughout the entire time.


A couple of things worth mentioning about this exhibit is that it is very popular. Although Osman and I went on a Wednesday afternoon, it was still pretty busy and had to wait our turn in order to snap a good picture without people in the background. The art museum has a student discount and you can purchase tickets for only $10 with a student ID. If you don't have a student ID, you can also save money on admission fees by going on a Friday or Sunday. On Fridays, the museum has a special where you can visit for free and on Sunday, the admission is cut in half! Since there is a special on these days, it would probably be best for go earlier in the morning when it will be a little less crowded. Overall I had a really fun time at the museum and spent a lot more time there than I had expected. There were a lot of young people so it's cool to see people my age interested in something that typically older people enjoy. Art is for everyone and I really enjoy and appreciate art because I'm not an artist myself. Artist or art appreciator, this exhibit is definitely worth checking out.
The outfit I wore for my trip out to Fort Worth was actually borrowed from my sister! One of the many pros to having a sister your size is you get TWO closets! The romper/jumpsuit is from Zara. She purchased it last year before our trip to California. The sandals I wore are from Tory Burch. I've found these sandals to be a simple and stylish must have piece, especially for the summer. The cross body I'm wearing is a Louis Vuitton Favorite in the size MM. I wore some really old earrings that I bought years ago when the local Claire's store was closing so I don't have a link to those but anything simple in a dull gold shade would have worked. I really wanted to keep the outfit minimal because I knew I was going to be taking pictures with art and didn't want to distract from that. My style is pretty simplistic any way so I didn't have too much trouble with this outfit. I curled my hair with a 1.25in curling iron did my usual makeup routine. The lashes I'm wearing are from Huda Beauty in the style "Samantha" and the lip color I'm wearing is from NARS in the shade "American Woman". 
I hope you have a chance to visit the Modern Art museum and see the Octopus Eats Its Own Leg exhibit while it's in Fort Worth. Thanks for reading, Quynhthy. Everything that I could link can be found here: 

Post a Comment