SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Birdie's

At the beginning of this month, I travelled to Los Angeles with a few of my friends to celebrate my dear friend Tony's birthday. Although there are plenty of things that I enjoyed from this trip and will blog about in the upcoming month, one of the first things I wanted to highlight was our trip to Birdie's  in downtown LA. We heard about this restaurant when we arrived at our airbnb and asked our host about good places to go eat because who knows the city better than a local! I'm so happy Tony asked her because this place was so good.
The restaurant is pretty small, but easy to find. When we arrived, we noticed that there was limited seating space. The menu is displayed on the wall and as soon as you walk in your attention is immediately captured by all the donuts on display. The best thing about this restaurant is that you get to sample the donuts before you purchase! How freaking awesome is that?! I can't tell you how many times I've bought something just because I thought it looked cool and once the initial hype died down I thought to myself "Yeah I wouldn't buy that again". I've learned that the best thing about traveling with your friends is that you can all buy different food and share, giving you the opportunity to try everything without having to buy everything. Jessica had the maple bacon donut and I bought the cookies and cream one. I sampled the dark chocolate donut, but I guess the bitterness wasn't doing it for me that morning so I went with the sweeter donut. The maple bacon donut was the perfect amount of sweet and savory. The small chunks of bacon and the maple glaze/frosting wasn't too sweet so you get the perfect balance of sweet and salty. I really liked my cookies and cream donut because it wasn't too sweet either! I love sweets, but if I'm left feeling like I need a gallon of water after eating dessert, I'm not a huge fan.


We munched on the donuts while we waited on the main course. I'm pretty certain all of us ordered Birdies breakfast sandwich except for Javi who went with the Birdies spicy sandwich. Luckily he sat right next to me and I was able to steal a bite or two. The sandwich was massive and the chicken was battered perfectly. I'm always nervous to order chicken when I go out to eat because I have this irrational fear that the chicken will be dry. Luckily the chicken was not dry and the busted yolk made sure the entire sandwich wasn't either. My only regret was not getting the spicy sandwich instead. The ghost pepper mayo, (the one with a hidden kick that snuck up on you) that was on Javi's sandwich was exactly what my sandwich was lacking. Other than that, I loved everything I had at Birdie's and would definitely visit again the next time I'm in Los Angeles. Also the staff was so nice and so sweet which was the cherry on top of a wonderful dining experience. Check out their website and instagram for more information:  Birdies Website Birdies Instagram Leave a comment letting me know what some of your favorite donut spots are! Thanks for reading, Quynhthy.









Post a Comment